ABOUT 3 HEALTHY CHICKS          FAQ          HEALTHY CHICK CLUB          LINK LOVE          ADVERTISE           EVENTS          LITTLE DETAILS         

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Detox Day Five: Juiced Out

Today is day 5 of cleansing for me, Terra and our friend Nancy. I feel great. I’m not fatigued and I am no longer physically hungry. Mentally, I still think about eating, or not eating constantly though. I have really come to realize how much I take for granted the fact that I have the luxury to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. There are starving people all over the world and it makes me feel so spoiled that I am able to get up and go to the refrigerator, pantry or store whenever I am hungry.

However, no disrespect to the author of our raw cleanse, but after 5 days of juicing I feel that it is physically impossible to drink so much juice for 7-10 days straight. I have barely been able to drink half of what I am supposed to and am sooo sick of juice. Today I am sticking mostly to water because I just can’t stomach anymore juice.

Thankfully, although not raw, we are also allowed to have some broth here and there. So, last night I busted out the stock pot and put everything but the kitchen sink into it. Carrots, potatoes, onions, broccoli, celery, herbs, seaweed, garlic... I threw it all in the pot with water and let it simmer. I have to admit, cutting up and preparing all the ingredients made me want to eat them, but I refrained. After an hour I strained out the veggies and had a yummy mineral and nutrient-dense vegetable broth left. Making your own broth is a great way to avoid the sodium and other unwanted ingredients like MSG that are found in most store-bought broths. Keeping your broth in an air tight glass container, such as a mason jar, will keep it fresh for a week or so, and you can use it for sauteing in place of oil, or as a base for soups and stews.

Sipping on the broth was such a nice change from juice! And, rather than discarding the veggies, I threw them all in the food processor and pureed them, making an additional soup that I froze for rainy, post-cleanse day.

Speaking of post-cleanse, I can’t wait for those days to come. Not that I’m struggling with the cleanse, but I am just excited to see the results of detoxing and see how much better I feel as each cleansing day goes by. Keep posted as we share our journey along the way!

Keep it Fresh!
- Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment